The number of people smoking hookah increased, under the pretext that it was less harmful than smoking regular cigarettes.
so they used it as a means of entertainment in their spare time.
But the fact that many studies have demonstrate about the health effects of hookah is that it is very dangerous.
And it increases the smoker’s exposure to many diseases, such as cancer, strokes, and others.
In this article, we will discuss about the health effects of hookah.
SMOKING HOOKAH HEALTH RISKS
There are many damages resulting from smoking hookah, which you know through the following points:
- The possibility of cancer increases for hookah smokers, as inhaled smoke contains a high percentage of toxic substances, such as tar and carbon monoxide, and heavy elements that cause cancer, such as arsenic, lead, and chromium, such as lung cancer.
- Hookah causes skin problems such as the appearance of wrinkles, for example, and smokers are at risk of developing some skin diseases such as eczema, which has been observed to appear on the fingers of the hand holding the hookah.
- The possibility of having children with low weight and breathing problems increases if the mother smokes a hookah, so she must completely avoid smoking during pregnancy to spare the fetus such problem
- Drinking hookah is associated with many oral and dental problems, as the results of a study conducted in Sweden (specifically at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm) showed that the risk of developing tooth decay and gum disease increased by five times compared to the rate among non-smokers.
- The exchange of the same hookah between more than one person, especially in public places and cafes, increases the likelihood of the smoker contracting infectious diseases, as is the case with tuberculosis, which negatively affects lung health in particular, and the health of the body as a whole in general.
- The risk of developing diseases related to the heart and blood vessels, such as strokes, increases, as a result of entering harmful substances into the smoker’s body.