Energy drinks have become widespread among everyone, especially among teenagers, due to their availability in most shops, but what are the effects of energy drinks on teenagers?
Energy drinks are very popular among teenagers aged 12-17 years, as it turns out that 31% of this group drink energy drinks marketed in attractive ways
which made them desirable to them, so what are harms energy drinks on teenagers?
EFFECTS OF ENERGY DRINKS ON TEENAGERS
The spread of energy drinks in different shapes and distinct flavors among adolescents and the increased consumption of them led to the observation of a range of harms effects.
Which are as follows:
1. ENERGY DRINKS ARE HIGH IN CAFFEINE
Energy drinks contain a high percentage of caffeine, which is an unsuitable and unhealthy substance for children and adolescents
And leads to a range of harms, most notably the following:
- Insomnia and inability to sleep.
- Heart problems such as: irregular heartbeat, heart failure, and high blood pressure.
- Problems with the brain, muscles and bone growth.
2. ENERGY DRINKS ARE HIGH IN SUGAR
Energy drinks contain a high percentage of added sugar, so teenagers will suffer from damage and side effects due to high amounts of sugar, and among the most prominent damages:
- Increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Tooth decay and erosion.
- Increased risk of premature death.
3. OTHER DAMAGES
Some of the harms of energy drinks for other teenagers:
- Dehydration due to energy drinks containing high amounts of caffeine, which discourages diuresis.
- Changing the normal lifestyles of adolescents, such as: changing sleep behavior, and smoking.
- Neurological and psychological problems as a result of eating too much.