Boris Johnson Condemns Racist Abuse of Players

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson condemned on Monday the racist abuse of some England football players after the team’s defeat against Italy in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley Stadium in London last night.

After three players abused after missing the penalty shootout that decided the match, Johnson said on Twitter.

“The England team deserves praise, not racist abuse on social media.”

The three players are Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka.

The original and extra time ended with a 1-1 draw before resorting to penalty kicks

which came in favor of the visiting Italian team (3-2) to win the championship for the second time.

“Those responsible for this egregious abuse should be ashamed of themselves,” Boris Johnson added.

“We are disgusted that some of our players who gives everything possible for the team this summer exposed to racist abuse online after tonight’s game,”

England said on Twitter.

The Football Association described the racist abuse as “disgusting behaviour” and unacceptable.

“We will do everything we can to support the players, and at the same time we will demand

the maximum punishment for those responsible,” the federation added in a statement.

The London police said they are aware of this abuse and will act and take the necessary measures.

Last month, the interior minister said she did not support players who bow in protest of racial grievances

saying it was “political behaviour”.

Twitter said it would delete more than 1,000 tweets and permanently suspend a number of accounts

following the “hate” racist abuse directed at England players.

“We will continue to intervene and take action when we discover any tweets or accounts that violate our policies,” the spokesperson added.

Arsenal sent a message of support to Saka, while Manchester United expressed their support and pride in their Twitter account, Rashford.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Read More

Recent