Cough is a common symptom in children, but there are many cough remedies at home to treat it, respiratory infections are one of the most common causes of cough, and a large number of colds that children get annually are caused by viruses.
The most prominent cough remedies at home to children are as follows:
Cough remedies for children: simple home methods
Children’s cough can be treated with simple home methods that are inexpensive and help your child get rid of colds and feel better.
Here are some home remedies for coughing for children that are available in every home:
1. Drink water and fluids
It is very important to stay hydrated during an illness so that drinking water and fluids helps the body prevent complications of the disease and keeps the airway moist as well.
Children can be encouraged to drink milk if they refuse to drink water.
Honey helps thin phlegm and dissolves it from the throat wall, as many studies have proven that honey relieves coughing, especially at night.
A child can be given an amount that does not exceed 5 milliliters per day.
but it should be noted that it is not recommended to give honey to children under the age of one year!
Because there is no effect in improving symptoms and may cause poisoning to infants.
Gargling with salt water may help treat children’s cough and reduce its severity.
To use gargling to get rid of cough in children, follow these steps:
- Add one tablespoon of table salt to the water.
- Teach your child how to gargle.
- Let your child spit out the water after finished gargling.
4. Lift the child’s head up
Placing the baby’s head slightly elevated while sleeping helps to breathe better and reduce the severity of the cough.
So gather two pillows and put them under the baby’s head when he sleeps.
5. Walking in cold weather
You can walk with your child for a few minutes in the cool air, which helps to freshen the airway of the child.
6. Mint and eucalyptus preparations
Rubbing a child’s chest with a preparation containing mint and eucalyptus extracts helps reduce coughing symptoms, especially at night.
7. Eat vegetable soup
Drinking hot drinks, such as vegetable soup, help relieve cough symptoms.
Steam is an easy and simple solution to treat a cough for children and get rid of phlegm, as the steam helps remove congestion and get rid of cough.
To reduce the severity of cough in children, we recommend the following:
- Avoid wearing any perfume when your child has a cough.
- Avoid using air fresheners.
- Keep cats and dogs away from the surroundings of the affected child.
- Avoid smoking in the house near your child.
When is it necessary to see a doctor?
You should visit a doctor to see a child with a cough in the following cases:
- The symptoms did not improve despite the treatment of the child with home methods for several days.
- Asthma and allergy cases.
- Body temperature above 38°C for more than three days.
- Shortness of breath.
- Pain in the chest.
- Pain in the muscles around the neck and chest.